Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I am struggling....


With what to do about Hef. I love this old man like there is no tomorrow. We are told he is 10 years old, has some joint issues but basically healthy except his heartworm. (he sure doesn't look 10!) I have talked to a few people and I hear mixed advise. But I need more... I don't know what to about his heartworm. I am told that once he goes through the treatment he won't be the same at all and it could even kill him. Let me tell you the procedure in case you do not know. First he has to stay at the vet for 3 days, 2 nights. The first day they take a needle full of arsenic and put it in his right back flank, they monitor him the first night, the second day they take another needle of arsenic and put it in his left back flank again he stays to be monitored. The arsenic then goes through his system to his heart and blood stream to disolve the worms. He then can't run around much or do his puggie play for at least 6 weeks in case he gets a blood clot from the worms disolving since that will kill him. I am leaning towards NOT doing it. Do I realize what I am doing yes. I want to enjoy him while I can the way he is. I want to watch Winston and him run around the house playing with their hedgehogs. I would rather have him have a full life of being a normal pug than go through the treatment. Do I sound selfish? I hope not. I am not going to do it due to money or my own gain. What if I took him in and he didn't make it past the first stage? Or he gets through them but is constantly weak, not playing being "big brother" to Winston. You would never know they weren't raised together. When I first got Hef I told Andy that no matter what even though he is 10, he is coming to our home where he can live the rest of his life with dignity.

Please don't judge me and say that I am a horrible person by NOT taking him but I will consider all constructive critism. I will weigh the pro and cons of all...


6 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, March 04, 2008 , Blogger Manda Girl said...

That's a hard decision to be faced with. You need to do what you think would be best for him and your family. If you don't want him to go through the painful procedure, then all you can do is help him live his last moments in peace and love. We are thinking of you.

 
At 10:02 AM, March 05, 2008 , Blogger Carrie A said...

How long does the vet say he has if you don't get it treated? And what will you do if Winston becomes infected?

 
At 12:25 PM, March 05, 2008 , Blogger Jessica said...

Those are both very good questions Carrie that Andy and I want to talk to the vet about. I will keep you posted for sure.

 
At 12:27 PM, March 05, 2008 , Blogger Jessica said...

Thank you for your kind words... it is a very daunting experience going through this, which we knew we would have to face!
Jess

 
At 5:30 PM, March 05, 2008 , Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Oh Gosh..I really have n o knowledge on Heartworm...I never knew the treatment was so scary!
You know him well enough to do what is right. I am sure you will make the best decision for him. I agree with you when you said " I want to enjoy him while I can the way he is. I want to watch Winston and him run around the house playing with their hedgehogs. I would rather have him have a full life of being a normal pug than go through the treatment" I don't think you are selfish at all...

 
At 9:06 PM, March 05, 2008 , Blogger Carrie A said...

Also, what happens to him when his heart starts to give out due to congestive heart failure? He won't be able to run around that much as the worms mature. If your vet recommends treatment i would do it. I'd do it for my Taquito.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home